Tuesday 17 November 2015

The Tough Questions

Helping to Keep Your Child Safe
Gave Me a Headache....


I was delivering a Pediatric first aid course this week at a local nursery school and was asked an interesting question…. how long do you need to keep accident records for?

Completely confident in my knowledge, I piped up, ‘Five years!’

Looking around the circle, I could see frowns and everyone seemed to go quiet, so I asked the group, ‘How long do you think it is?’

There were a number of replies ranging from 5 years to indefinitely. I thought to myself, ‘Wow, imagine the storage you would need if you had to have hard copies of every accident that had ever happened within an organisation!’

I pledged to the group that I would find the answer and let them all know in the session next week.
The next morning I arrived at work thinking that the information that I needed would be readily available. This was not the case. An hour later and I was still searching for a definitive answer, maybe this was going to take longer than I thought.

Various organisations have differing opinions. Some say 5 years, some 10 and I even found one that said 1 year so I continued my search and tried to find a legal answer to the question. I turned to the good old HSE to help me find the answer I was looking for.

I could find out all there was to know about making records and reporting accidents but nothing about how long these records must be retained. Eventually, (after changing my search parameters several times) I found a government leaflet called, ‘Guidance on First Aid for Schools.’


This stated that: ‘Employers with 10 or more employees must keep readily accessible accident records, either in written or electronic form. These records must be kept for a minimum of 3 years.’
But this is intended for employees rather than students. I continued my search. This time, checking out the OFSTED regulations.

Although you might imagine that this policy is available and easily found, again, I was surprised how long it took me to find out any information at all. I could find out lots about what should be retained and reported but hardly anything about time scales. It seems that different organisations have different regulations.

At last I found a document from the Records Management Society of Great Britain entitled ‘Retention Guidelines for Schools’.

www.plymouth.gov.uk/rms_retention_guidelines.doc

It is apparent from the document that information should be retained for different periods of time depending on the information.

This document states that accidents to adults must be retained for 7 years after the date of the accident and for children, their date of birth plus 25 years. This comes from the Statutory Provision:

·       Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979 Regulation 25.
·       Social Security Administration Act 1992 Section 8.
·       Limitation Act 1980

So now we all know! But I do wonder why it was so difficult for me to find out this information. 

Maybe no one wants to take overall responsibility for this.

Got a question about First Aid or need to book a course?  Call us on 01229 813989.

You won't find course dates on our website as we deliver on-site training at a time to suit you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

m1 m2 m3 m4 m5 m6 phonefooter emailfooter