Monday 16 November 2015

Lest We Forget



"When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep" Maya Angelou

As long as I can remember November has forever been linked with poppies, marching to the Cenotaph and the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance amongst other things.  Sitting here I just wander whether I am indulging in habit and not truly giving thanks to all the untold number of soldiers who have given their lives, so I can sit here quite comfortably writing this post.

I have studied war in many forms.  The history books tell us about the horrors of war: trench foot, starvation, mustard gas, prisoner of war camps, the list goes on and on.  Can we ever really appreciate or understand what soldiers really went through and are still going through?

Seeing the bravery and heroism of returning soldiers like Sgt Rick Clement, who lost both legs 5 years ago after steeping on an IED in Afghanistan.  He walked a short distance to pay tribute to his fallen colleagues.  This gives us a little insight and we can empathise with their pain but that is it.  We really don't understand the sacrifice and the cost to the families who have lost their loved ones.  The more I think of their sacrifice the more I realise that I can never buy enough Poppies and no amount of Marching can heal the pain and suffering.

All I can say is:
Thank You to each and every soldier who gave their lives, who were injured, who returned home safely. 
Thank You to the families who endure life without their loved ones at their side.
Thank You to the service animals who did their duty and never knew the price they would pay.

Regardless of  Creed, Colour, Nation.  THANK YOU

'I do  not know your name but I know you died.  I don't know from where you came, but I know you died'      Kenny Martin

'Reveille sounds and the parade is done. Thhe hero remembered, forgotton by none.  They leave to start the journey back in a coffin draped in the Union Jack' Sgt Andy McFarlane 2009

' The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him but because he loves what is behind him' G.K. Chesterton



No comments:

Post a Comment

m1 m2 m3 m4 m5 m6 phonefooter emailfooter